Sunday, November 14, 2010

Looking Back, Part I

I feel this blog is a great way to capture memories that Gracyn can look back on someday. I am so upset with myself for not starting it from the day I found out I was pregnant, instead I started it when she was 4 weeks old. Better late than never. Her first birthday is in 3 days, so I decided to look back on when I found out I was pregnant/ultrasounds, preparing for her arrival, and the day she was born.

THE RABBIT DIED!

Clint and some friends were running a relay in the Little Rock Marathon on March 15. I had been sick for several days, but it seemed to get worse that weekend. Clint insisted that I go to the doctor when we got home. So, the next day, March 16, I went to work like any normal day. After work, I went to a walk in clinic for what I knew was a sinus infection. The nurse asked if there was a chance I could be pregnant. I said, "No. Well, I mean there is always a chance, but I'm not." She said, "well, let's just do a pregnancy test just to rule it out. It will make a difference in what antibiotics we give you." I was like, "OK." I've never had to do a pregnancy test at a doctor and really didn't think much about it. I knew it would come back negative, so no big deal. I was sitting in the room when the nurse walked in and said, "Congratulations! The rabbit died!" I had no idea what she was talking about. I asked her what that meant and she said, "You're pregnant!" (apparently, back in the day they would insert women's urine into a rabbit and if the rabbit died it meant the woman was pregnant.) I was in shock! I kinda laughed and was like, "what?!" She just thought it was the funniest thing! I was like, "But I just booked a cruise today!" Needless to say, I canceled the cruise!

I get home and am standing at the bar opening the mail, still in utter shock. I hear the garage door opening and am trying to think of how I am going to tell Clint. He walks in and asks how my doctor appt went. I started crying and somehow he guessed that I was pregnant. Right then, I asked him to take me to Wal-Mart to get a pregnancy test. Surprise, it came back positive as well! I called Katie and told her the news. Of course, she didn't believe me. I'm not sure at what point she believed me but she told me to call my primary physician the next day. SO that I did. I had to go back in for another pregnancy test. Positive. That evening I took another test. Positive. Later that week, I took another. Positive. So, after 5 pregnancy test it finally sank in that I was going to have a baby. The moment Clint said, "This is going to be fun," I knew everything was going to be ok. Although we weren't planning on me getting pregnant, we were both very excited at the thought of having a sweet baby.


The next week, on March 25, I thought I was having a miscarriage. I was at work and the doctor asked if I could come up to the office. The whole way there I was just praying and praying that everything was going to be ok. The ultrasound tech had already gone home for the day so it was one of the doctor's doing the ultrasound. He said he wasn't too savvy with the machine, but he figured he could find what we were looking for. Then, we saw a little spot on the monitor. He asked me what I saw and I said, "A little spec." He said, "look right there." In that little spec was the most amazing thing ever...a little heartbeat.


On April 20, Clint and I got to hear the heartbeat, 160 bpm!!! It was the most amazing sound ever!

June 25, we had the ultrasound and found out we would be having a GIRL! We were lucky because we could NOT agree on a boy name to save our lives! We already knew we would be naming this little girl Gracyn Blair!



July 1 was the first time I felt her move. I was at work and it was about 6:30 am. I felt an odd sensation in my lower tummy. I didn't think much about it, then I felt it again. Then again. That is when I realized it was her moving. I called Clint and woke him up to tell him what had just happened. I told him I felt like I had fish swimming in my belly!

August 27 we had the 3D/4D ultrasound. Clint wasn't so sure about this one. He thought it was going to be creepy, but he enjoyed it and was so glad we did it! We could tell by the ultrasound that she was going to have Clint's forehead and my nose and lips...and sure enough, she does!

2 comments:

  1. This is so great to read! It was really nice getting to see you and Jeffie the other night.

    Thanks again and I'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete