Monday, June 24, 2013

Welcome to the World Cole Matthew!!!

So my last blog post was June 21. I was 38 weeks along. I had an appointment the day before and my doctor wanted me to do another 24 hour urine test. So Friday at 3:00 I took my urine sample to triage. Dr. Smith went ahead and checked me again and said I may be in this weekend to have a baby. That evening, Clint, Gracyn, and I went to dinner. As we were leaving I started having contractions. I started timing them about 8:00 that night and they were 7-8 minutes apart. I spent the night timing them then about 4:30am they were 4-6 minutes apart. I woke Clint up at 6:00am so we could start getting ready to head to the hospital. We took Gracyn to G-rise and Shannon's house then made it to the hospital about 7:00am. They checked me and I was already dilated to 5cm. So far this labor was going the same as Gracyn. Since it was my second I assumed it would go faster. At this point, we called our parents so they could start traveling to NWA.

They got me set up in a room and got my epidural ordered. I got it about an hour later, then they broke my water. At noon I was dilated to an 8 and we thought we would have a baby by 2:00! However, as with Gracyn, my labor stalled at this point.  Several hours went by and finally at 6:00 I was 10 cm dilated! Dr. Smith came in to "have a chat" before I started pushing. She said we knew he was big so there was a chance of shoulder dystocia and she gave me the risks that came with that. She did mention C-section if he wasn't moving down the birth canal, but said I had delivered a 9 pound baby before so she thought I shouldn't have any problems this time around. Finally at 6:05 I was able to start pushing!

I pushed, and pushed, and pushed. He was hardly moving. I was actually sleeping in between contractions. They would have to wake me when the monitor showed a contraction. I was exhausted! At 8:00, Dr. Smith told me he just wasn't making any progress and recommended a C-section. I really did not want a C-section, but I knew he wasn't moving down. I wasn't even feeling any pressure. About an hour later, Cole Matthew was born!

Cole Matthew Thomas
June 22, 2013 9:11pm
9 lbs 11 oz. 22.25 in.

All cleaned up. Look at all that hair!
 
 

After he was delivered and taken to the nursery to be cleaned up, I must have passed out. Next thing I know, I was being woken up in recovery to nurse him. He latched on right away! After he nursed, they took him back to the nursery. Since I had a C-section, they kept him in the nursery so I could get some sleep. They would bring him in for feedings. The next morning, Clint told me that none of the family had met him yet, they had just seen him in the nursery. He wanted me to have time with him first and really know what was going on. I wanted Gracyn to be the first person to meet him. She finally got to meet her little brother about 11:00 the next day! She absolutely adored him!!! After she had her time with him, the rest of the family got to meet the little guy!



Finally get to hold my baby boy!

Sweet cheeks!
 
Big sister loves her little brother!


Aunt KK meeting her nephew!
 
Waiting to be discharged.


Getting ready to go home!
 
A C-section is not the way I had planned on having Cole. I'm still dealing with a couple open spots on my incision, but they are healing. In the end, all the matters is that I have a healthy baby. He is doing great! He has been able to exclusively breastfeed, which I wasn't able to do with Gracyn. He is gaining weight like a champ! Gracyn is such a great big sister! She really is a big help. He favorite thing to do is give him a bath! We are so blessed to have two healthy, wonderful kiddos!
 

 


2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful baby boy Jennifer! I had no idea about your c-section!! :( I'm sorry you had to go through that..I missed out on the skin to skin contact immediately after with both of the kids due to c section. Makes you so groggy. So glad to hear nursing is going well! We need to come see you guys before you go back to work! When do you go back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I go back to work September, 3. These weeks have gone by way too fast! We would love to see you guys!

      Delete